So where to register for shared ownership properties? In most cases shared ownership properties will have an element of grant funding so you will need to register with your local Help to Buy agent.

Registering for shared ownership with your local Help to Buy agent

You can still search and apply for shared ownership properties on other platforms like ours, however where a housing provider has received some grant funding for their shared ownership properties they will still require you to register with the correct Help to Buy agent. They will be able to explain the process once you have made your initial enquiry.

Alternatively, you can always register with the Help to Buy agent first and then apply for homes once you have been given your ID reference.

Guidance about where to register for shared ownership properties

They are split up in to 7 regions with London having it’s own Help to Buy agent. You will find that they are usually managed by a Housing Association. However, they allow other providers to advertise their homes on the platform if they have shared ownership properties in those locations.

The Help to Buy Midlands agent covers Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Rutland, Worcestershire, West Midlands, Warwickshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire and Herefordshire.

You will register with Help to Buy East and South East if you are considering shared ownership properties in Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Kent, Surrey and West Sussex.

Help to Buy North East, Yorkshire and the Humber covers Durham, Northumberland, Tyne And Wear as well as the whole of Yorkshire.

For shared ownership properties in Merseyside, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Cumbria and Cheshire you register with the Help to Buy North West.

Help to Buy South covers Berkshire, Hampshire, Isle Of Wight, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Bristol
and Wiltshire.

Shared ownership properties in Somerset, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall are Help to Buy South West.

The housing provider will also be able to give you guidance about where to register for shared ownership properties with if you aren’t sure.