Frequently Asked Questions

Please see the details below of frequently asked questions. Feel free to get in touch with us if you can’t find the answer to your query.

We bring together social and affordable homes in one place so you can find your new home for less. Start your search today.

No, but if you choose to apply for several properties you will need to fill out a separate enquiry form for each one.

If you are interested in applying for several properties at once you can do so using our Quick Apply function. So there is no need to keep filling in a form for each property you are interested in.

Quick Apply allows you to submit enquires for several properties at once. So once you have registered with Moving Soon you are able to submit enquiries with the click of a button. No need to fill in forms.

This is where there are no fees taken from prospective tenants to do any affordability or referencing checks.

Typically in the private sector landlords will ask for a deposit which is usually the same value as one month’s rent. This is to protect them in the event there is damage done to the property that they can claim against for the repairs, or it can be used against unpaid rent.

So when homes are advertised with No Deposit Required it means you do not have to pay this bond.

Housing Associations due to the nature of how they work tend not to charge a deposit for Social Rent or Affordable Rent properties.

This is the same as No Deposit. It is just another way of saying it.

Housing Associations provide these homes on a secure basis.

Most of the time they are available via the Choice Based Lettings Schemes. However, there are occasions where they may be marketed direct to potential tenants.

A key function of social renting is to provide accommodation that is affordable to people on low incomes. The government will limit the rent increases of such homes by law so they are kept affordable.

Social rent will depend on the local council’s allocation scheme. So it may vary area to area. Since the Localism Act 2011, councils can decide who is or isn’t eligible to go on their waiting lists for social housing.

It is where Housing Associations let their properties at up to 80% of those that would be charged by Private Landlords, Estate Agents and Letting Agents.

Those in need as well as working people.

For example, say you saw a 3 bed house to rent for £500 a month from a Private Landlord or Estate Agent. However, you also noticed a Housing Association had a similar 3 bed house in the same street, but it was on the market for £400 per month as they were marketing it as an Affordable Rent property.

In this instance, you can see that the rental cost of the Housing Association property is 80% the value of the same house being advertised for rent in the same street by the Private Landlord or Estate Agent.

In summary, these affordable rental homes are discounted rentals.

The tenancies typically offered are for a fixed term only and not for life.

Affordable rent homes will typically be available to applicants in housing need that have household incomes of up to £71,000 (if moving into one or two bed homes) or £85,000 (if moving into three bed or larger homes).

It depends on which Housing Association is listing the property. They should explain their criteria in the property description. If not, please feel free to get in touch with them direct.

No, the higher rent will be charged for newly-built homes and some existing homes that are being re-let.

The maximum annual rent increase on an affordable rent property will be inflation + 0.5%. This is the maximum a Housing Association can increase the rent during the fixed term of your tenancy. They will rebase the rent on each occasion that a tenancy is renewed, meaning that rents could go up or down depending on market conditions.

Residents moving into homes charged at an affordable rent will have the statutory and contractual rights associated with their tenancy type.

So, like current social rent, an affordable rent should still be cheaper than renting privately.

Market rent is essentially a property for rent that will have similar pricing to those offered in the Private Sector by Private Landlords, Estate Agents and Letting Agents.

Rent to buy is a government initiative to help renters in social housing to buy a home.

Shared Ownership is a way of helping people on to the property ladder who are struggling to raise a deposit for a mortgage and would like to get their foot on the property ladder.

You might currently be renting or living at home but you’re looking to buy your first home.

The way it works is you buy part of the home, from 25%-75% and pay rent on the remaining share, usually at a discounted rent.

By purchasing in this way your mortgage and deposit will be less than if you had the buy the home outright. Over time, as your finances change, you can purchase an increased percentage of your home which is called staircasing.

Many people find that buying through shared ownership costs less than the rent they are currently paying. Also, the shared ownership properties listed on Moving Soon are all brand new homes, meaning less money needed for decorating and building improvements.

The criteria for who’s eligible for the shared ownership scheme varies from country to country in the UK.

In England:

  • First-time buyers or those who used to own a home but can’t afford one now
  • People whose combined household income is less than £80,000 (in London, it’s less than £90,000)
  • You rent a council or housing association property.

For further information on similar schemes in other countries please follow these links:

Northern Ireland:



This is just another name for Shared Ownership.

This is because you part buy, between 25% and 75% of your home, and then pay rent on the remaining share, usually at a discounted rate.

Your home will often be owned by a Housing Association or a similar organisation tasked with building affordable homes to help people get on the property ladder.

You can increase the share of the home you own until eventually you own the property outright.

There may be restrictions on who you can sell your property to as these homes are earmarked for those who can’t afford to buy. Each scheme will be run slightly differently depending on the area they are in. You will be able to find out more information when enquiring about your preferred property.

You get a mortgage for the percentage of the property you are buying, typically from 20% and rent the remaining part from the Housing Association.

It depends on the Housing Provider. Shared ownership homes are typically new build homes meaning less money to find for decorating and building works that might be necessary to upgrade a ‘second hand’ home.

You will get everything that comes with buying a new home like a brand new kitchen, bathrooms, central heating and double glazing.

As time goes on some of these homes may be sold as the existing owners upgrade or move on, and they will usually be sold to other families who need an affordable home through the shared ownership scheme. So although they will be a ‘new build home’ they won’t be brand new. These are typically called shared ownership resales.

Shared ownership homes currently on the Moving Soon website are new build and resales.

There are various providers who can offer mortgages for a Shared Ownership homes but the options are limited as compared to normal mortgages for the open market.

However, most of the leading providers of mortgages do offer products specifically for shared ownership homes. A Google search will bring up a list to start from.

You’ll need to find a deposit and go through the application process, much the same as if you were buying a home in the traditional way.

Yes, it is similar to buying your house outright. You will still need to have a deposit in place, typically 10% of the share of the property.

So, for example, if you were buying a 25% of a property with an overall value of £100,000 this would equate to a mortgage of £25,000. So in this instance if you required a  10% deposit it would be £2,500.

The remaining share of the property, £75,000, would be owned by the Housing Provider and you would need to pay them a monthly rent they will have worked out.

So you will have both mortgage repayments and rent (usually at a reduced rate) to pay.

The way to increase your share of ownership of the home varies between different Housing Providers.

The term given to increasing your share of your home is called Staircasing.

For example you may be only allowed to increase the share of your home 10% at a time or you could go to owning 100% straight away.

When you make an enquiry about a property you are interested in you can ask them about the terms of the sale.

It is where you can buy a bigger share in your Shared Ownership home.

So if you start with owning 50% of your home and find your financial circumstances improve so that you can afford to borrow more money for your mortgage you can ‘buy’ some more of the share of your home from your housing provider.

The percentage that you can staircase will be different depending on who your Housing Provider is. You should ask about this when you make an enquiry about your preferred property.

Some schemes allow you to buy the whole property, while on others there is an upper limit. This may be because your property is reserved for people on a waiting list who are unable to buy on the open market. In this case, if you are in a position to buy a home outright you would sell your home back to the Housing Provider and move out of the shared ownership scheme and on to the open market.

It is best to find the properties you like and to ask the Housing Provider what the criteria for outright ownership is.

Moving Soon specialises in affordable homes and we have many Shared Ownership homes available across the UK.

Start your search for your new Shared Ownership home now.

Yes, please take a look at our Shared Ownership blog category.

Organisations that offer affordable and social homes. These include Housing AssociationsChoice Based Lettings Schemes, ALMOs and House Builders.

Yes. We only list homes to those as shown above. So these are homes for Social Rent, Affordable Rent, Market Rent, Rent to Buy, Shared Ownership and outright Sale.

You will need to register with our website and then follow through the steps to add your property listing.

Please take a look at our clients page as this will contain any details about special offers.

You can email us via the Contact Us page.

No, you need to register with us to be able to list your available homes.

Once you have entered your Coupon Code for the Free 30 day trial you need to click the Review Listing and then Submit Property.

If you are having trouble with this or are still unsure please email us via the Support Form in your Dashboard.

They range from single to multi property listings. Please get in touch with us for further details.

We will explain this as it will depend on the package you have signed up to.

No.  All we charge for is your listing.  No other fees; it is as simple as that!

It depends on your property listing package. Get in touch to find out more.

We are not estate agents.  So no estate agent fees, no commission on sale completion.  We are simply the UK’s property website marketing affordable and social homes.

Fill in the Request Details & Viewing form on the property you are interested in.  Then click send. This will go to the property advertiser for them to respond to your query.

You will need to follow up with the property advertiser direct. We allow them to advertise their properties to you. We are not responsible for the adverts or arranging viewings.

Yes we offer free moving home checklists. Get in touch for more details.

We work with an online partner to provide you with competitive quotes. You simply complete the removals request form and submit it to us. They will then arrange for up to 5 local providers to contact you direct and provide quotes.

We’ve taken the hassle away from you and have partnered with a reputable company that have had great reviews on previous jobs they’ve completed. It saves you searching the internet. Plus they have many providers who operate throughout the UK.

This because there are some housing schemes which specifically cater for this age group. They have facilities dedicated to them which is why they are restricting applications.

It is rented accommodation for older people, typically over the age of 55, where there is usually a scheme manager. Sheltered housing is for the elderly and could be in a block of flats, bungalows or even small houses.

Typically older people who are living in Sheltered Accommodation are able to look after themselves.

You will find that there will be a set of criteria to meet depending upon the sheltered housing scheme you are applying for. Most of the schemes will want applicants to be over the age of 55. However, there may be flexibility if someone is claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA). It really depends on the sheltered accommodation you are apply for.

This is essentially the same as Sheltered Housing. There may be slight differences depending on the Housing Provider.

This is essentially the same as Sheltered Housing. There may be slight differences depending on the Housing Provider.

This is very similar to Sheltered Housing, except Extra Care housing includes the provision of on-site care and social activities.

Shared Equity is an alternative to renting or buying a property outright where you will purchase a fixed percentage share of a property via mortgage or savings. Generally the fixed percentage is 50%, but this can vary. Fixed percentage means you can only ever own that percentage share of the property.

You will own 100% of the property, but will purchase a fixed share (usually 50%). The housing association provider will then have a permanent charge over the property for the remaining percentage. You are classed as the owner-occupier, which means that you are fully responsible for the maintenance and repair of the property. For flats you will own 100% leasehold.

There will be a number of costs incurred during the purchase, which you will be responsible for, such as Fees for valuation of the property, surveys, search fees, solicitors’ fees, mortgage deposit and removal costs. There could also be Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT), where applicable. There will be an option of how you will pay for this, either paying the full amount due on the property or paying for it in stages as you purchase further shares in the property. Your solicitor will be able to advise you further on this matter.

You will normally be responsible for the management and maintenance of your property. Building Insurance may well be payable to the housing provider. It is important to check this with the housing provider.

You will need to get in touch with the housing provider you bought it from.

Find out about Shared Ownership Schemes Coming Soon

Find out about Shared Ownership Schemes Coming Soon

Receive the latest updates about part buy part rent properties that become available

You have Successfully Subscribed!